Bourbon is my liquor of choice, on the rocks or a Bourbon Old Fashioned, please! So, when I was getting ready to make my delicious caramel apple pie, instead of using regular caramel sauce I decided to make mine a little boozy. And oh, my goodness. Not only is this bourbon caramel sauce delicious in the pie, but it’s also good drizzled on top of the pie, as a caramel dip for apples, drizzle that baby on a cookie, over ice cream, or just grab yourself a spoonful and enjoy!
The point I’m trying to make? It’s delicious and you’re going to have to restrain yourself from eating the entire jar. Also – it’s really easy to make! So, let’s get to the recipe, shall we?
Bourbon Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- ½ stick Butter (4 Tbsp)
- ½ cup Half-and-Half
- 3-4 Tbsp Bourbon
- Pinch of Salt
- Add all of the ingredients, except the bourbon, into a small saucepan. Heat on medium to medium-low heat and stir frequently.
- Continue to cook until it starts to thicken, it will come to a slow boil and at that point, you want to make sure you are stirring the entire time.
- Let it thicken up as it's slow-boiling, keep in mind, when it cools it will get even thicker - you don't want to overcook because then it will crystalize. I used a spoon to dip into the pot, set it to the side for a few seconds and then lift it and let the caramel fall off to see how the thickness was coming along.
- Once you've got it to the consistency you want, slowly add the bourbon one tablespoon at a time. Be careful! Adding the bourbon will cause it to bubble up, even more, this is why you want to use a medium size pan so there is no risk of overflow. To be safe, cover your hand with an oven mitt so you don't get burned.
- Continue to add the bourbon one tablespoon at a time until combined, stirring the entire time. Check your consistency, I let mine cook for 1 minute longer and then removed from heat.
- Place in a heat-safe container to cool and store, I used a mason jar! Let it cool before you enjoy. It will be very hot when you pull it off the burner.
I can’t wait for you to make this! If you want something delicious to use it with, I suggest making my Bourbon Caramel Apple Pie, you’re halfway there with your homemade caramel sauce!
Pin for later!
CLASSIC COMMENT BEGGING
If you like this recipe please leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @breepair or another platform.
It helps me to create better content so I know you would like to read more!