So, what is an art journal, why should I art journal, and how do I art journal?
What is an Art Journal? An Art Journal is a booklet of paper where you can express yourself through art tools. Whether that is a pen, a pencil, markers, paints, glue, or findings. It is a book meant to inspire you and a book where you can be free to express how you are feeling and to explore your creativity.
Why should I Art Journal? You do it for only one reason. Y-O-U. No one has to see your journal unless you want them to. It is a place where you can explore artistic tools and just relax and let yourself put whatever you want on paper. Whether it is something serious you want to write down, or something cute that you want to try and doodle. Art journaling should be relaxing and a place for you to express yourself without anyone critiquing what you do.
How do I Art Journal? You need a piece of paper. And something to write, sketch, doodle, or splatter paint with. Don’t be afraid of the white piece of paper, and don’t be afraid of “messing up” its something that is not going to be critiqued. An art journal is full of “mistakes” that turn into beautiful things.
I was art journaling with my friend the other week and I noticed how she had to make sure it was precise and looked perfect. That is okay, but when you art journal just let-go. For our entire lives we need to focus on making things be exact and look right and be perfect. In your art journal let yourself be free to mess up, to make mistakes, and to just play with art tools that you may not even know how to use!
So some simple tips to get you started:
- Don’t be afraid of the white page. If you are then grab some paint and smear it all over the paper and then write or doodle on top of it!
- Don’t procrastinate. You don’t need a lot of art tools. All you need is a piece of paper and a pencil.
- It can be a diary of things going on in your life, or five beautiful colors that you want to play with. The sky is the limit!
- There is no right and wrong in art journaling.
Art journaling is meant to be three things:
Are you ready to get started? Grab a piece of paper and go for it! You don’t even need a book, just use pieces of paper and then later I’ll show you how to make a journal out of all those pieces of paper! No matter what size they are, they can all go together.
Here’s some prompts to get you on your way:
- How are you feeling in this moment
- What did you eat for breakfast
- Doodle your front door and what it looks like
- Typography only!
- Draw a map of the neighborhood you grew up in
- Paint swatches of colors and the name the colors yourself!
- My Art Journal Pinterest Board