Here is yet another delicious recipe from my pie book. I would love to be able to make every single recipe out of this book. I’m slowly conquering it by doing one recipe a week. If I had more time I might try to pull a Julie and Julia and do one recipe a day. Wow. That would be so crazy.. a good crazy though. I think I’d have to have people come by and pick up dessert every day though. Highest bidder gets the dessert! :)
This weekend I made a delicious Apple Pie! It was gone by the time we left my parents that evening. So I’d say it was a big hit!
- 2 Simply Pie Crusts (Click for Recipe)
- 2 1/2 lb. Pink Lady or Honeycrisp apples. (6-7 apples, peeled and chopped)
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. chopped crystallized ginger (*I omitted this because I couldn’t find any- still delicious)
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp. table salt
- Apple Cider Drizzle, divided (Click for Recipe)
- 1 Tbsp. whipping cream
- Prepare Simply Piecrusts through step 1.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Combine apples, sugar, flour, ginger, lemon zest, cinnamon, salt, and 1/2 cup Apple Cider Drizzle in a large bowl; toss gently to coat.
- Roll 1 recipe of Simply Piecrust dough into a 13-inch circle on a lightly floured surface; fit into a pie plate (I used a square baking pan) Spoon apple mixture into prepared crust.
- Roll remaining recipe of Simply Piecrust dough into an 11-inch circle on a lightly floured surface; cut piecrust into 1 inch wide strips. Arrange strips in a lattice design over filling; gently press ends of strips, sealing to bottom piecrust. Brush piecrust with cream.
- Place an aluminum foil lined cookie sheet on lower oven rack. Place pie on middle oven rack over the cookie sheet to collect juices. Bake at 400° for 50-55 minutes or until juices are thick and bubbly and crust is golden brown, shielding edges with aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning. Remove from oven to a wire rack, and cool completely.
- Microwave remaining 1/2 cup Apple Cider Drizzle in a small microwave-safe bowl at HIGH for 30 seconds or until warm. Spoon over each serving.
We enjoyed ours with fresh whipped cream, I added some vanilla cream stevia and cinnamon to ours!