Whenever it is cold outside the number one food hubs requests is Chili. With a million and one recipes out there for chili I figured, eh, might as well add mine to the mix! Here’s what makes mine more healthy:
- Low Sodium Canned Beans (did you know you’re supposed to have between 1500mg and 2300mg of sodium a day?! That’s not a lot, make sure you read your labels)
- Mrs. Dash Chili Mix <- this is also very low sodium! Mrs. Dash mix tastes wonderful too! You can buy it at your local grocery store or even on Amazon.
- Extra Lean Turkey from Jeanie O! I like the Extra Lean (blue package) it tastes great in Chili! For you beef fanatics, just try it, you’ll be surprised.
- I hide in a zucchini and a squash. Now, if you’re like me, those are the two vegetables that I HATE. I think they’re gross, nasty, taste yuk. (I think I explained my distaste for them with wonderful adjectives, don’t you?) But when they’re in this chili recipe, I don’t even know they’re there. Sure, I’ll feel a texture that is obviously different from beans and meat, but its got all of the flavor of the goodness that is chili, they’re cooked down, and so I don’t mind it at all!
- There is also a red bell pepper & onion
- For toppings I suggest Avocado, and Plain Greek Yogurt in place of Sour Cream
For an extra flavor boost I add in a package/roll of pork sausage. I know its not the greatest, but this recipe makes a LOT of Chili so when you divide it out its not too bad. I used the reduced fat type as well. So that helps!
- 1 Package of Jeanie O Extra Lean Ground Turkey
- 1 Small Roll/Package of Reduced Fat Pork Sausage
- 2 Cans of Northern Beans (drained & rinsed)
- 2 Cans of Kidney Beans (drained & rinsed)
- 2 Cans of Medium Chili Beans (do NOT drain)
- 1 Large White Onion
- 1 Squash
- 1 Zucchini
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 2 Packages of Mrs. Dash Chili Mix
- Olive Oil* optional
- In Large Saucepan, combine Turkey & Sausage and cook until done
- In Large Pot add about 1tbsp olive oil Cook Your Onion for about 5 minutes, ½ way to transparency
- Add in Squash, Zucchini and Bell Pepper to Onion and cook until softened (but not mushy)
- Add to your vegetable pot your finished meat and mix
- Mix in your Mrs. Dash Packets
- Add in your cans of Chili Beans <- don't drain these!
- Add in the rest of your beans and make sure to drain and rinse them
- Let set on stove until your chili is warm
- Best served with avocado in my opinion!
If you make it I’d love to know how you like it so let me know here or on my Instagram!