I get in the habit of wanting to blog, but not setting enough time aside to do that because I prioritize other things. Sound familiar? It may not be blogging for you, but there’s always something you should do for yourself and you don’t because it’s not “priority.” Self-care, that’s the main one. We get busy with life and don’t take the time to take care of ourselves.
Blogging is something that is definitely for me. I have my own company that teaches bloggers and influencers, and I have my graphic design and marketing clients, and then there is just LIFE. So I’m always putting myself on the backburner.
Good ol’ Rachel Hollis gave the description of this vicious cycle as a vase. We are a vase and we fill up our vase with water in the form of self-care, but we give give give to others and in order to do so we tip over our vase until part of it spills out so we can give to others. In the process of doing so, we’re draining ourselves. But what if, instead of tipping our vase, we made sure our vase was always full and overflowing so that our overflow was able to be given to others? If we change our mindset and make ourselves a priority, we will have so much more to give to others without wiping ourselves completely dry!
I’m not saying I’m there yet, but I recognize that I need to be doing this.
So, with all that’s going on in my life right now.. (moving to Minnesota, finding a home, finding a car, having sinus surgery..) I’m making the decision to take care of myself and to make it a priority. And here are some things I’m going to try.
- Drink enough water.
- Simple enough, right? One would think, but this is a step I have to consciously take every day.
- Time for meditation
- Meditation looks differently for everyone, but for me it’s sitting still and quiet for a few moments every morning, reading my Bible Study, doing some journaling, and just being still. No phone.
- Now, this is something I’ll be picking up again soon, I just had sinus surgery and it went really good. But I am not allowed to do anything too strenuous for at least a week. Now that this polyp is gone and I can breathe and sleep normally again I’m excited to get back into a routine! I’m especially excited to find a gym that offers spin, Zumba, and yoga!
- Essential Oils
- These have helped me sooo much. Healing, mood boosting, relaxing, and so much more. I have to remember to diffuse them every day. Again, something simple, like drinking water, but that I need to get in the habit of.
- Taking time to do something creative for me
- For me, this looks like making time each week to blog, do some watercolors, knit, or graphic design for fun. These things fuel me and my energy. So I’ve rescheduled my calendar so I can block of time to do these things, and I’m really excited about it!
What are things that you do for self-care? Is it something you need to make a priority in your own life? I can’t wait to hear what you do to take care of yourself. I’m cheering you on!