Yahoo! I made it through my first week of Weight Training class! By the time I finish these six weeks I am going to be in serious *beast mode!*
First though- lets get this MYTH outta your head:
Seriously girls! If you weight train, you’re NOT going to look like the scary woman in the top. Its not going to happen. Our bodies weren’t designed to do that, so unless you’re taking enhancers and supplements that will make your body do crazy stuff, you will instead look like the girl in the bottom. I’ve got a good friend of mine that was always afraid that she’d get big muscles if she worked out with weights a lot. But I promise you, it wont happen.
Look at Jillian Michaels. She does weight training all the time. Now, I have seen some cross fit girls get pretty thick arms (again- NOTHING like the first picture) but those girls (crossfitters) are lifting really hefty weights- and the elite crossfit ladies are the ones I’ve seen with thick arms. So unless you’re going to be a pro, you don’t have to worry about it. :)) And if you’re going to be a pro, then you probably don’t care anyways.
So, you want to know what I’ve been doing every day!?
- Run- 1 mile/ 10 min
- Dumbbell Bench Press- 15lb 15×3
- Incline Dumbbell press- 10lb 15×3
- Fly Machine- 10lb 15×3
Tuesday: Shoulders, Back & Abs
- Bike- 10min warm up
- Bent over Row- 10lb 15×3 (15 reps, 3 sets)
- Back Extension- 10lb holding, 15×3
- Lat Pull- 50lb 15×3
- Overhead Press- 10lb 12×3
- Lateral Raise- 8lb 12×3
- Front Raise- 8lb 15×3
- Abs –6 routines @ 30 seconds each
- Elliptical- 20 min
- BONUS: I benched 65lb 3 times today. Freaking HARD! omgosh.
Wednesday: Biceps, Triceps, and Legs (HARD DAY)
- Cross-trainer- 15 min warm up
- Prisoner Curls- 25lb 15×3
- Dumbbell Curls- 15lb 15×1; 10lb 15×2
- Cable Curls- 35lb 15×3
- Bench Dips- My weight only, 15×3
- Overhead Dumbbell extension- 15lb 15×3
- Cable Pull Down- 50lb 15×1; 60lb 15×2
- Bosu Ball Squat- Body Weight Only, 15×2; Holding 25lb, 15×1
- Leg Extension: 40lb 15×3
- Seated Leg Curl: 50lb 15×3
- Rock Climbed… about 5 min? I only made it up halfway, because I did this after all of the above workouts. Arms were dead. lol!
Thursday: Chest, Back, and Abs
- Bike- 11 min warm up
- Push Ups- Body Weight; 15×4
- Chest Press w/ Dumbbell on Ball- 15lb 15×3
- Squat Row- 10lb 15×3
- Assisted Pull Up- 88lb assist (so pulling up 60 lbs, yes I just gave away my weight) 15×3
- Lat Pull- 50lb 15×2; 55lb 15×1
- Abs- 9 routines @ 30-60 sec. each
- Today- is my off day! *whew* finally a break. Thank goodness.
Saturday: Skills Test
- Planning on heading to the gym today to see how many of the exercises I can do for my skills test. So I will be doing: Bench Presses; Lat Pulls; Prisoner Curls; Crunches; and Biking. We’ve been talking about Rock Climbing as well, so we might do that today or tomorrow.
- My second off day of the week. Unless we go rock climbing.
** Please note, on the above exercises I mix it up. I don’t do all one muscle group at once. Example: On Tuesday, I’d do one back exercise, and then one shoulder, and vice versa until I finished. Not all back and then all shoulders. Would have died. Gotta give your muscles a little break.
By the time Thursday came around, I was tired and soreee. Glad for a break day today. :))
I have been keeping everything tracked in my Fitbook. It’s a great tool to have to keep track of what you are doing. Because now, I can flip back through it and see what weight I should be doing. So for example. next time I do Squat Row, I’ll know I did 10lb 15×3. So I’ll know where to start or if I need to bump up the weight.
So you want to tone up? Lose weight? Get rid of body fat? Then don’t be afraid of the weights! And if you need more help, you don’t know anything about weights, or where to start, ask me! I’d love to help you out. Also, at your gym, see if there is a free session you can get with a personal trainer so they can show you the basic moves so you won’t hurt yourself by doing incorrect form. I know when I was going to 24 hour fitness, we had like 1 free session with a personal trainer. See if your membership has that. Or, if you are working out from home I suggest the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. She combines cardio and strength training, and shows you how to maintain proper form.
I’d love to help you out, so let me know if I can! :)) I hope you guys enjoyed seeing a little bit of what I’m working on! I will be sharing what my diet has been like with you all next week.
Have a safe and fun filled weekend!!
Love it! I weight lift and when I started I was only nervouse didnt want to bulk up. Right now for me since beginning it has really upped my metabolism and ive lost inches so I love it! The program I follow is http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-introduction.html
I am a runner, and everyone has told me about the importance of strength training – so I love this post! Keep up the hard work!
When I started seriously weight training a few years ago I saw myself slim down and tone up so much! I’m starting to do more weight training recently now because I remember how good I looked haha
I can’t wait to see your results of your hard work. It’ll probably get easier for you as the weeks pass you by… besides you’re already active and fit… so weight training will be a breeze… I hope ;)
Keep up the hard work girlie!!
Thank you for sharing this!! I just started venturing into the “boys area” of the gym and picked up a few weights. I am usually alone when I work out and have no idea what I can do there. This really helps!
I am your newest follower, by the way!! I found you via GFC Blog Hop and I’m excited!
Love & Whimsy
way to go!! that is awesome!! I need to get back to weight trainer -I love feeling stronger!!!
Geez you’re my hero! I keep lacking motivation to work out. I certainly wouldn’t mind being a little more toned!
Wow thanks for this awesome post! I too am a fitness freak and your routine is great! Love Jilliam Michaels DVDs too :) Check out my post on stretching after workouts!
I seriously thought you wrote ‘breast mode’ not ‘beast mode’! I read that over and over again thinking to myself, I have never heard that one before.
Yay for weight training!